19 October 2008

the unbearable sweetness of watching

Yesterday I braved the dark at the Koning Micro Cinema to find a seat for a showing of found and treasured 8- and 16-mm films at the Home Movie Day. A and I witnessed a grandfather's 1960s trip to Japan and Hawaii, a young shipman's wrestling match with his lover before he ran off, a spirited, Orphan Annie-inspired rendition of various Halloween songs, and some open-water swim races.

Heard at the festival (on and off screen):

*Mom, I'm sorry that I said out (US pronunciation); I forgot that I was Canadian.
*If I touch your face in the dark, I don't mean to.
*I almost kissed you just then.

4 comments:

Margo said...

I'm so glad you came to the screening! I'm one of the Home Movie Day (Grand Rapids) coordinators and was the little girl singing Halloween songs in the super 8 film. I'd love to read more overheard snippets...

lisa said...

i left the quote list at home! And only approximated your brother's statement. What was it exactly?

[such a lovely event, margo!]

Jennifer Proctor said...

These are great quotes! I love all the little words that are exchanged at these screenings, and I usually can't hear them (I was with Margo behind the projectors). If you have more quotes, I'd love to hear them!

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I missed this, as I just found out about it today. It sounds like a lot of fun. I have around 10-20 reels of 8mm given to me by my grandmother after my grandfather passed away that I have been meaning to run through the projector or editor I also was given. There's also one reel I shot when I was a kid that I can't currently remember the content of.

Any idea yet if there will be a Home Movie Day in Grand Rapids next year?